
Abuja's BEST Hotel? Continental Hotel's SHOCKING Secret Revealed!
Abuja's BEST Hotel? Continental Hotel's SHOCKING Secret Revealed! (Spoiler Alert: It's Not ALL Shiny!)
Okay, buckle up Buttercups, because I've just emerged from the labyrinthine halls of Abuja's supposed "best" hotel, the Continental Hotel. And let me tell you, it's a rollercoaster. Forget those perfectly curated Instagram posts – this is the REAL deal. And yes, there's a secret… and it's not quite what you think.
(Quick SEO Break: #AbujaHotel #ContinentalHotelAbuja #NigeriaLuxury #HotelReview #TravelNigeria #AbujaTravel #LuxuryHotel #HotelSecrets)
First Impressions (and the Quest for Accessibility):
Roll up, roll up! The Continental boasts "accessibility," which, in Abuja, often translates to "we tried." The entrance? Relatively flat, thankfully. But maneuvering in my wheelchair through the lobby felt like navigating a minefield of potted plants and… well, people. I’d give it a solid… meh on accessibility. Some ramps, but not always in the most convenient places. Elevator access? Yes, thank goodness. But the hallways? Narrow in some spots, and I'm not even a big guy! This is where I need to say, "Improve, Continental, improve!" Consider this early feedback.
(Accessibility: Sort of. Needs work. 3/5 stars for effort.)
The Rooms: A Tale of Two Worlds (and a Little Dampness)
My room, surprisingly spacious, with all the "Available in all rooms" features listed above. Air conditioning blasted out a pleasant chill (essential in Abuja!), and the bed… oh, the bed was an absolute cloud. Seriously, I could have slept for a week. Blackout curtains were my best friend for battling the Abuja sun. Now, the "shocking secret"? Let's just say my room had a little… dampness. Not a flood, mind you, but a slight musty aroma that hinted at some water damage. I mentioned it, and the staff did offer to move me, but I was already unpacked. This is not ideal, but I can honestly say, it wasn't enough to ruin my stay.
(Rooms: Mostly good, minor damp issue. 4/5 stars)
The Deliciousness (and Occasional Disappointment) of Dining:
Okay, let's talk food. The dining options are extensive. Restaurants galore, bars, and the holy grail, 24-hour room service! My stomach did a happy dance.
- Restaurants: The buffet breakfast (Western and Asian options!) was a feast. The coffee shop was a haven for caffeine addicts like myself. The restaurants offered international cuisines (yay!) and even a vegetarian restaurant (double yay!). The a la carte options were tempting, but sometimes the execution wasn't quite… Michelin-starred. I ordered a salad – seemingly simple – and it was drenched in dressing. I mean, soaked! A culinary crime!
- Room Service: After a long day of meetings, the 24-hour room service was a lifesaver. The staff were friendly and attentive, and the food was actually better than the main dining room offering (some days!)
(Dining: Mostly good, occasional misses. 4/5 stars)
The Relaxation Rituals and the Fitness Fiasco:
This is where the Continental really shines.
- The Spa: Oh, the spa! This is where the magic happens. A body scrub, a body wrap, sauna, steam room – the works. I spent an hour just melting in the massage chair. The Pool with a view was a great place to relax.
- The Fitness Center: Now, this is where things get interesting. The gym is well-equipped, but… let's just say the air conditioning was on the fritz on the day I went. I’m talking, “sweating like a pig” levels of hot. I didn't even bother with the treadmill.
- The Pool: Gorgeous! Outdoor and perfect for a refreshing dip.
(Relaxation: Fantastic. Fitness: Needs work! 4/5 stars)
Cleanliness, Safety, and the Pandemic Pivot:
The Continental takes COVID-19 precautions seriously. “Daily disinfection in common areas” is a real thing here. They used a lot of “Professional-grade sanitizing services", and "Sanitized kitchen and tableware items". They use individually-wrapped food options for breakfast. Stuff like hand sanitizer was everywhere. The staff were masked and courteous. I felt relatively safe, all things considered.
(Cleanliness & Safety: Impressive. 5/5 stars)
Hidden Gems, Quirks, and the Stuff No One Tells You:
- The Convenience Store: Useful for grabbing snacks and essentials.
- The Staff: Mostly friendly and accommodating, but sometimes there's a slight language barrier. Patience is a virtue!
- The Meetings/Events: I didn't attend anything, but the facilities looked impressive.
- The Little Things: They have fresh flowers everywhere.
(Quirks: Interesting. 4/5 stars)
The "SHOCKING Secret" REVEALED!
The secret isn't a scandal. It’s that the Continental, despite its best efforts, is a little flawed. It's a bit like that friend who’s got incredible style but always spills coffee down their front. The "shocking secret" is simply, that the imperfections add to the charm. The fact that I could look past the minor flaws, is the main point.
Final Verdict:
The Continental Hotel is, overall, a good choice for your Abuja trip. You'll have a comfortable stay, lots of great eating and relaxing options, and a generally pleasant experience. Just be prepared for a few minor hiccups. And maybe pack some air freshener, just in case!
(Overall Rating: 4/5 stars)
THE OFFER YOU CAN'T REFUSE (Book Your Stay NOW!):
Tired of the Abuja Hustle? Escape to the Continental!
Book your stay at The Continental Hotel TODAY and get:
- FREE Wi-Fi in all rooms (because we know you need to stay connected!).
- 20% OFF on Spa Treatments to soothe your travel-weary soul. Get ready to indulge!
- Complimentary early check-in (subject to availability) so you can start relaxing sooner.
- A bottle of wine in your room upon arrival (to toast your amazing trip!).
- Direct airport transfer
But Hurry! This offer is only valid for the next 7 days. Don't miss out on your Abuja escape!
Click Here to Book Your Stay at The Continental Hotel NOW! [Booking Link] (And don’t forget to mention the “Abuja Secrets” promotion when booking!)
Escape to Paradise: Sunny Bay Suites Await in the Philippines!
Okay, buckle up buttercup, because this isn't your grandma's perfectly polished travel itinerary. We're diving headfirst into the Abuja Continental Hotel, consequences be damned! (Mostly just the consequences of a slightly over-indulgent happy hour, but still.)
Abuja Continental Hotel: A Hot Mess Express (But In a Good Way, I Think)
Day 1: Arrival - And Immediate Disorientation
- 14:00 - Arrival at Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport: Okay, so first off? Finding a reliable taxi at Abuja airport is a sport. A real sport. Like, Olympic-level maneuvering, dodging aggressive touts and haggling like your life depends on it. I probably looked like a sweaty, bewildered gazelle being pursued by hyenas. Finally, after about an hour of circling and feeling utterly defeated, I found a guy whose car actually had working air conditioning. Victory! (And my first lesson: Always, ALWAYS negotiate the price before you get in.)
- 15:30 - Check-in at Abuja Continental Hotel: The lobby is… grand. Like, "Versailles meets Nigerian Independence Monument" grand. I was slightly awestruck, then immediately annoyed by the slow check-in process. Why do hotels insist on making me feel like I'm auditioning for something? Seriously, I just want a room. My room, however, was pretty damn swanky. Good start.
- 16:00 - Room Reconnaissance & Mild Panic: Okay, room is HUGE. King-sized bed, massive windows, a bathroom that probably costs more than my entire apartment back home. Then I started unpacking… and realized I'd left my phone charger at the airport. Cue internal screaming followed by a quick prayer that the hotel gift shop is… you know… actually useful.
- 17:00 - The Gift Shop Gamble: YES! They had chargers! But… it cost more than my last three meals combined. (Inflation, man, it’s a killer.) Bought it anyway. Desperate times, desperate measures.
- 17:30 - Reconnaissance of the Pool Area & Immediate Regret: Pool area looked AMAZING. But it was already sunset, starting to get dark and it looked like it was for hotel guests only (but this is Nigeria?). My sense of social ineptitude kicked in and I decided to get a drink at the bar first.
- 18:00 - Happy Hour… and a Revelation. Okay, this is where things get interesting. The bar is buzzing, the air is thick with the scent of grilled chicken and the sound of high-pitched laughter. Ordered a Star beer and some suya (spicy grilled meat, absolutely divine). Started chatting with a group of Nigerian women who were hilarious, loud, and completely welcoming. They taught me a few basic Yoruba phrases (I think I butchered them… horribly) and shared stories about their lives. Suddenly, I felt less like a lost tourist and more like… well, a slightly tipsy observer of an amazing culture.
- 20:00 - Dinner at the Hotel Restaurant (A Mild Disaster): Decided to be adventurous and order something authentic. They got my order wrong. The food took forever. The waiter looked perpetually stressed. Honestly, the whole experience was charmingly chaotic. (And the food, once it arrived, was… edible. Let's leave it at that.)
- 21:30 - Collapsed in Bed: Jet lag is a beast. Seriously. Completely zonked out, but with a goofy grin glued to my face.
Day 2: Cultural Immersion (and the Sweet Taste of Suya)
- 08:00 - Breakfast Buffet… and a Near-Death Experience with a Sausage: Seriously, the breakfast buffet at this place is epic. So many choices! I piled my plate high, feeling like a king. Then I bit into… a sausage. A sausage that, unbeknownst to me, contained the power of a thousand suns. My mouth spontaneously combusted. I think I saw my life flash before my eyes. Lesson learned: Approach the sausages with caution.
- 09:00 - Haggling Battle Royale at the Crafts Market: My mission: Souvenirs. My weapon: Determined cheapness. The market was a vibrant explosion of colors, smells, and relentless salespeople. The haggling was… intense. I probably offended a few people. But hey, I got some beautiful beaded necklaces for a fraction of the original price! (Victory dance!)
- 12:00 - Lunch at a Local Eatery (Absolute Heaven): Okay, this was the highlight of the day. My new Nigerian friends from the bar took me to a local spot that served the most incredible jollof rice and pepper soup I've ever tasted. The atmosphere was electrifying, the food was mind-blowing, and I felt… completely connected. This is exactly why I travel.
- 14:00 - A Quick Visit to a Local Mosque: A beautiful experience, full of respect and peace.
- 15:00 - POOL TIME! Finally! The pool was just as amazing as I’d hoped. Spent hours soaking up the sun, chatting with other guests, and generally feeling like a blissed-out lizard.
- 18:00 - Suya Extravaganza: Back to the bar! More Star beer, more suya. This time, I remembered my Yoruba phrases (mostly). The conversations got even louder, the laughter even heartier. I felt like I'd found my tribe. This is how you do Abuja, people.
- 20:00 - Dinner at the Hotel again: I'm not going to lie, I was exhausted by then.
- 21:00 - Bedtime: Sleep, sweet sleep, and a happy heart.
Day 3: Departure – And a Promise to Return
- 08:00 - One last breakfast buffet (carefully avoiding the sausage of doom).
- 09:00 - Last-minute souvenir shopping (more haggling!).
- 10:00 - Check-out (with slightly less drama this time).
- 11:00 - Farewell to the Abuja Continental Hotel (and the friends I’d made). I left with a full heart, a slightly lighter wallet, and a burning desire to return. Abuja, you glorious mess, you absolutely charmed me. And even though I left my phone charger behind again, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. The imperfections, the chaos, the amazing people… that's what made it unforgettable.
Important Notes (aka, things I learned the hard way):
- Bargaining is a MUST: Always haggle. Always!
- Embrace the Chaos: Things won't always go as planned. Roll with it. Laugh at yourself.
- Talk to the Locals: Seriously, they are the best. They'll make your trip.
- Bring mosquito repellent.
- Learn a few basic phrases in the local language. It goes a long way.
- The traffic is horrendous. Factor in extra time for getting around.
- Enjoy the food! (But maybe ask about the sausage first.)
And that, my friends, is my gloriously messy account of a few days in Abuja. Go forth, be adventurous, and be prepared to be utterly captivated. Just pack a spare phone charger, okay? You’ve been warned.
Barcelona's Hidden Gem: Be Mate Paseo de Gracia - Unbelievable Stays!
So, the Continental Hotel... is it *really* the best? Or just... expensive?
Oof, that's the million-naira question, isn't it? Honestly? It depends on your definition of "best." I've stayed there, and let me tell you, you're paying for, shall we say, *ambiance*. Think gleaming marble floors, a lobby that screams "I'm rich and important," and staff who *mostly* remember your name (until they don't). But "best"? Mmm, that's tricky. I've had meals that were heavenly, and meals that tasted like they were prepared by a chef who'd forgotten their ingredients. So, yeah, expensive more than consistently "best."
My Anecdote: Last time I stayed, I ordered room service. A simple club sandwich. Took an hour and a half. When it finally arrived, the bread was soggy, the tomatoes were… well, let’s just say they weren’t local. BUT, the little garnish of parsley? Divine. Seriously, it was like the single sprig of parsley was the only thing that cared about me. Go figure.
What's this "Shocking Secret" then? Spill the tea!
Alright, alright, don't choke on your suya in anticipation! The 'secret' isn't some scandalous affair, though knowing the kind of places it attracts, I wouldn't put it past anyone. The "secret" is about the *consistency*, or lack thereof, of the experience. Some stays are pure luxury. You feel like you've been transported to another planet of pampering. Others? They're a comedy of errors, where things break, the WiFi dies faster than a Nigerian politician's promise, and that "luxury" feeling? Vanishes quicker than a plate of jollof rice at a party.
Okay, but the rooms? Are they worth the price tag? Tell the truth now!
Look, the rooms *look* the part. They're spacious, usually well-appointed… except for the time the air conditioning decided to become a glorified fan. That was a *sweaty* night. The beds are comfy, the bathrooms are generally sparkling, and the views… well, they can be lovely, if you're facing the right way (which, let's be honest, is half the battle in Abuja). They usually have those fluffy robes and slippers that instantly make you feel like a star, until you see the price of the mini-bar. Ouch. But are they *consistently* worth it? That's the rub. I'd say, for the *experience* of feeling pampered, yes. For the *value* of the experience? Maybe not.
My Rambling Thought: I remember once, I got upgraded to a suite. Magnificent! Marble everywhere! My ego was soaring. Then, the shower decided to unleash a torrent of lukewarm water at 3 AM. I spent the better part of an hour wandering around in a robe, completely soaked, trying to figure out how to fix it. Luxury, they said. Drama, I say.
What about the food? Is it as good as everyone says?
Ah, the food. It's a rollercoaster. The breakfast buffet is usually pretty spectacular – the freshly squeezed juice, the fluffy omelets…it’s a great way to start the day. Dinner is where things get tricky. The fine-dining restaurant? Can be divine, if you're prepared to spend a small fortune. The casual dining? Hit or miss. I swear, one day their suya is the best in the city, the next you're wondering if they got a new supplier. Then there’s the service… sometimes the staff are attentive, other times they’re… well, let's just say they're practicing their “invisible man” skills.
The Repeated Experience: It’s always about the suya. It’s legendary (when it’s good) and consistently inconsistent. It’s almost as if they are trying to train me to expect the unexpected.
The pool and gym? Are they worth using?
The pool? Yes! It’s usually a nice, clean oasis, perfect for escaping the Abuja heat (or for people-watching, let's be honest). The gym? If you're a serious fitness fanatic, or just someone who enjoys more than the basics, you might find it a little… limited. The equipment is generally well-maintained, but it's not exactly a state-of-the-art facility. Still, you can get a decent workout in, if you're motivated. The most important thing when using any hotel gym is to avoid eye contact with anyone, you aren’t there to socialize (unless you are).
Anything *else* I should know? Any quirky observations?
Oh, plenty! Abuja itself is… an experience. The Continental Hotel is just a microcosm. Expect to be greeted with a lot of smiles and a lot of formality, but occasionally, you'll encounter a level of chaos that can only be described as charmingly Nigerian.
Quirky Observation: The elevators. They have a mind of their own. You might wait for what feels like an eternity, and then three will arrive at the same time. And they'll be full. You'll be forced to go inside. It's a gamble whether they'll actually arrive at your floor without getting stuck. Just breathe. It's all part of the fun, right? Right? (I swear, one time I was stuck in one for fifteen minutes. I was late, I was sweaty, and I eventually escaped with a dramatic push of the emergency button).
Emotional Reaction: Look, the Continental Hotel isn't perfect. It's expensive, it's inconsistent, and sometimes, it's a bit of a headache. But? There's a certain *je ne sais quoi*. A sense of grandeur that can't be denied. And sometimes, when everything clicks – when the service is impeccable, the food is divine, the room is perfect – it's pure bliss. And you find yourself thinking, "Yeah, maybe this IS the best." Until the air conditioning breaks. But hey, that's Abuja. Embrace the chaos, and pray for good suya.

